Saturday, September 11, 2010

Being humble before God

This is how God started our conversation this morning:


"Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is." Ephesians 5:17 "Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ." Ephesians 5:21 "All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time". I Peter 5:5-6 "Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up." James 4:10 " 


So I asked Him "what does it mean to humble myself before you Father?" He reminded me of this verse in Deuteronomy: "Be careful that you do not forget the LORD your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day. Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied, then your heart will become proud and you will forget the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. He led you through the vast and dreadful desert, that thirsty and waterless land, with its venomous snakes and scorpions. He brought you water out of hard rock. He gave you manna to eat in the desert, something your fathers had never known, to humble and to test you so that in the end it might go well with you." Dt 8:11-16 The Israelites were slaves in Egypt, for a very long time, and God had given them liberty through Moses, who brought them out, and for 40 years they were wondering in the desert, going towards the promise land. God fed them and gave them water, and provided for all of their needs. Just like He did with me, as he took me out of bondage, out of a life where He was not a part in, where I often tried to fill the emptiness that invaded my soul with things that could never satisfy me, with foolish things from this world. He gave me eyes to see what truly matters. He gave me a deep desire inside of me to seek Him, and to know who He is. To know what His plans are for my life. To know why He created me. He gave me a meaning for my life. He brought me to His lap and told me that I am His beloved daughter and that I can call Him Daddy and know that He will always be there for me. He brought me peace, a peace that I could have never found anywhere else. He took me out of bondage, just like He did with the Israelites. And he reminded me today that humbling myself before Him means giving Him the glory for the things that He has done and does in my life everyday. Giving Him the credit. Recognizing that everything comes from Him. that I cannot do anything without Him. That He is the one who gives me strength and wisdom, and everything else for me to achieve what I intend. "You may say to yourself, My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me. But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your forefathers, as it is today." Deuteronomy 8:17-18 


Then I asked the Lord again: "But why do you constantly want to make me humble?" He led me to this verse: "Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands." Deuteronomy 8:2 "He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD." (3) I got it!! He let me live an empty life for 26 years, then He gave me food for my soul, and showed me that I cannot live "by bread alone" (feeding my physical body only), but that my soul needs to be fed everyday by a relationship with Him! I need to have food for my physical body as well as for my spirit. When Jesus was tempted in the desert Satan told him to prove that He was the Son of God by telling the stone to become bread, and Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but by every word of God." Luke 4:4 In Isaiah I read: "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in rich food. Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live." (55:1-3) God brought me to the same place He took me yesterday morning, telling me that He wants me to come close to Him: "Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near. Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts. Let him turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will freely forgive." (6-7) For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,"declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. What's God's will? That I come to Him, that I spend time with Him, that I delight in Him! "Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the" (8-11) desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4 "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2 I want to know God's will for my life, but more than that, I want to know His heart!


"Because God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

1 comment:

  1. The book "The Furious Longing of God" would speak volumes to you, I believe. It was so beautiful, and helped me see God's love for what it is, a maddening burning desire for ME. :)

    ReplyDelete